How Adults Can Help Children Learn to Read
- Ideas for instilling a love of reading in young children, tips for sharing books, reading web sites, and a list of good books.
- Author’s on the web, stories on the web, resources for parents, lists of books, and more.
- Children’s Picture Book Database at Miami University
- Educators can search over 5000 children’s picture books using keywords such as topics, concepts, and skills
- which describe the book.
- Fun reading games for kids and tips for adults.
- Links to popular reading series such as the Berenstain Bears, Babysitters Club, Animorphs, Arthur, Goosebumps, Narnia, and more.
- How to connect boys with books they will want to read.
- International Reading Association
- Links to recommended books and articles on teaching reading.
- Click on English, Spanish, German, or French for “Play and Learn” games for parents and teachers to use with younger children.
- Activities adults and children can do together to teach reading. This is the Pre-school through 2nd Grade site.
- “Reading Planet” has stories and games for parents and children to do together. Also, there are suggestions for how parents can motivate children to read.
Articles, tip sheets, and lists of books and authors for parents and teachers.
Read Books Online!
Complete texts of more than 200 books for children of all ages. The text can be customized to fit the needs of each reader.
- A web site for adults and children to use together as they read stories, play games, and sing songs.
Stories for young children, older children, and teens to read online.
- International Children’s Digital Library
- Look up books by many topics and choose from many languages. For both young and old children.
- Beginning readers stories at several different levels.