College/Career Planning

The Occupational Outlook Handbook can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations.
Iowa College Access Network (ICAN) provides programs, tools, and resources to help students with all aspects of planning and preparing for the academic, social and financial aspects of life after high school.
Kuder Navigator can help you with your career and college planning. When you create your account and sign in the system will:
  • Show you tools and resources that are appropriate to your grade or stage of life;
  • Save your work so you can return and pick up where you left off;
  • Provide you with a lifelong portfolio to help with future career transitions;
  • Make suggestions based on your previous work.


College Visits

Students wanting to visit a college of interest may do so at any time. It is highly recommended to visit as a junior.  This allows plenty of time for students to narrow down the search and make the right choice in the senior year.  There are special days set aside for students to visit.  You may schedule a visit by contacting the school of interest via the phone or website.  Parent-teacher conference days and semester break days should be used when possible for these visits.  College Visits are excused.
As with all planned absences, the following procedures need to take place:
  • The parent needs to call or email the high school office prior to the absence.
  • The student needs to obtain a pre-arranged absence form from the high school office.
  • The student returns the form to the office with ALL necessary teacher signatures.
  • This form must be filled out and returned to the office 24 hours prior to the college visit.



The best time for a student to take the ACT is in the spring semester of his/her junior year.  Students will have acquired most of the core areas that will be covered on the ACT.   Information and Registration materials are available in the counseling office or may be retrieved online by clicking link  here.



The PSAT/NMSQT will be administered in October. Testing will begin at 8:15 a.m. If you are in the top 15% of your class, it is recommended that you take the test. If you are looking for a practice test before taking the ACT, this is a great option. The cost is $16 (checks made to Mediapolis Schools). There are only 25 tests available. Although this form lets me know you are interested in taking the test, the money will guarantee you a test. There are practice materials in the counseling office, if interested.
Sign up in the counseling office.
The SAT is an admission test accepted by all U.S. colleges  Click here for SAT information and registration.


Regent Admissions Index

The Regent Admission Index is calculated by the number of core classes students take throughout their four years in high school.  A student must score at least 245 and take the minimum number of required high school courses to qualify for automatic admission at the Regent Universities.  Click here to calculate your RAI online and view the high school requirements for the Regent Universities.

lineRegent Universities

University of Iowa

University of Northern Iowa

Iowa State University


Applying for College

Students should apply to college as soon as possible.  Students can apply to as many colleges as desired.  In fact, one may want to apply to a couple of different colleges to keep options open.  Once accepted, students must make a decision to what college they intend to attend.  For example: I may be accepted to both Coe College and the University of Iowa, but I need to contact the admissions offices at both colleges to let them know I have decided to accept/decline their offer.
To make sure your credits will transfer from the community college to the University, have a list of the college classes you have taken from the community college, including the course name and number.  Visit Transfer in Iowa and put in your information.  This website is designed to show students how credits will apply towards a degree at Iowa State University, University of Iowa, and University of Northern Iowa.
 Your transcript can be sent to colleges at any time for free.  Whether you are a current student, alumni, or third party agency, please fill out this Request for Transcripts / Graduation Verification Form.
If you took college courses through Southeastern Community College in high school, you will need to send an SCC transcript to your respective four year school.  You may request your SCC transcript here.