Core Course Plan
Please review the high school graduation requirements listed below. Meeting the requirements is a joint effort between the student, parents or guardians, and school staff. All parties should work together to ensure that each student is on track with the courses needed. 55 credits must be earned to graduate from Mediapolis Community High School. In most cases, each course is worth one credit (per semester). This is not always the case for courses such as PSEO, Career Academy, and PACE courses.
Please be aware that the list below is to meet the minimum graduation requirement for Mediapolis Community High School. Colleges may require more core course requirements to meet their admissions requirements. Colleges may not count independent study classes as meeting subject area admissions requirements. Some classes are noted as ones that may not meet departmental admission requirements. Students should check with their counselor and/or college admission offices if they have questions.
- 9 English Credits – All freshmen will take English AND Public Speaking, all sophomores will take Composition AND Fact/Fiction or American Literature, all juniors will take Advanced Literature or British Literature AND Expository Writing or Creative Writing. All students must take Forensic Speech or Communications.
- 6 Mathematics Credits
- 6 Science Credits – All freshmen will take Physical and Earth Science, all sophomores will take Chemistry (year-long) and all juniors will take Biology I (year-long).
- 6 Social Studies Credits – Students graduating 2020-2022: 6 credits required, including one semester of Social Studies, Contemporary World Issues and American Government and both semesters of American History. Students graduating 2023 and beyond: 6 credits are required for graduation; all freshmen will take American History (year-long), all sophomores will take Ancient World History (1 semester) OR Modern World History (1 semester), all seniors will take Government (1 semester). All students must take a semester of Sociology or Psychology.
- 4 Physical Education Credits
- 1 Financial Literacy Credit – a financial literacy course must be completed (Consumer Math) for students graduating 2021 and beyond.
- 24 Elective Credits – These credits may come from any subject area (1.5 credits of RAPP are required
Kuder Navigator can help you with your career and college planning. When you create your account and sign in the system will:
- Explore your interests, skills and values with Navigator’s researched-based assessments
- Navigate your options and make connections between your interests and your education
- Achieve your goals! Make confident choices with Navigator’s education planning tools