Q: How many credits are required to graduate at Mediapolis High School?

A: A total of 55 credits are required for graduation from Mediapolis Community High School.  However, there are specific requirements in each subject area.

Q: What classes are required for graduation at Mediapolis High School?

A: 8 English credits – Students graduating 2018-2020: Including English, Public Speaking, Composition, and three advanced English courses, including, at least one speech, one writing and one literature unit.  Students graduating 2021 and beyond: 9 credits are required for graduation; all freshmen will take English AND Public Speaking, all sophomores will take Composition AND American Literature or Fact & Fiction, all juniors will take Advanced Literature or British Literature AND Creative Writing or Expository Writing. All students must take Forensic Speech and Communications;

  6 Mathematics credits;

  6 Science credits – Students graduating 2018-2020: Including one credit from each of the following areas: Life, Earth, and Physical Science (Life: Biology, Anatomy, Zoology, Genetics, Anatomy/Physiology, or Botany; Earth: Earth Science, Marine Science, or Environmental Science; Physical: Physical Science, Chemistry or Physics). Students graduating 2021 and beyond: all freshmen will take Physical and Earth Science, all sophomores will take Chemistry (year-long) and all juniors will take Biology I (year-long);

  6 Social Studies credits – including one semester of Social Studies, Contemporary World Issues, and American Government and both semesters of American History;

  4 Physical Education credits;

  25 Electives – these credits may come from any subject area (1.5 credits of RAPP are required for students graduating 2017 and beyond).

Q: When should I take the ACT?

A: The best time for a student to take the ACT is in the spring semester of his/her junior year.  Students will have acquired most of the core areas that will be covered on the ACT.

Q: How do I sign up for the ACT?

A: Registration materials are available in the counseling office or may be retrieved online by clicking here.  

Q: How do I know what my GPA is?

A: Your GPA is located on your transcript (a list of all classes taken and the respective grade received in each class).  Your transcript may be retrieved through your student JMC account or from the counseling office.  Your GPA is calculated each semester.  Please note that your quarter grades help calculate your semester grade.

Q: Can I change my schedule?

A: Yes, you may change your schedule if an undesired class is listed.  Please note that the counseling office will not make schedule changes for students who wish to be in the same class as a friend.  This is not an adequate way to prepare for your future.  Students should make all changes to their schedule with the counselor prior to the beginning of each semester.  Changing classes after the beginning of the semester will require the approval of the classroom teacher and counselor.  Dropping a class after 10 school days into a semester will result in a student receiving an “F” for the course.  This applies to all courses that the school awards credit for; including all local, Concurrent Enrollment, correspondence, and AP courses.

Q: What are the Regent Universities?

A: The Regent Universities include: The University of Iowa, University of Northern Iowa, and Iowa State University.

Q: What is the Regent Admission Index?

A: The Regent Admission Index is calculated by the number of core classes students take throughout their four years in high school.  A student must score at least 245 and take the minimum number of required high school courses to qualify for automatic admission at the Regent Universities.  Click here to calculate your RAI online and view the high school requirements for the Regent Universities.

Q: How do I know if my credits will transfer from the community college to the University?

A: Make sure you have a list of the college classes you have taken from the community college, including the course name and number.  Visit www.transferiniowa.org and put in your information.  This website is designed to show students how credits will apply towards a degree at Iowa State University, University of Iowa, and University of Northern Iowa.  You may have to work with college admission counselors at other institutions.

Q: Where can I look for scholarships?

A: Scholarships may be located in the following places: the school counseling office, community organizations, place of employment (also check parents’ employment), college financial aid and admissions offices, libraries, internet.  Please note that the local scholarships will not be available until after April 1st and the deadline is May 1st of every year.  Click here for a list of scholarships now available in the counseling office.  Click here for a list of financial aid and scholarship sources.

Q: I am not familiar with the FAFSA.  Can you tell me more about it?

FAFSA stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid.  In order to receive federal student aid, you must apply for the FAFSA.  Most colleges require a student to file the FAFSA.  More information can be found at www.fafsa.ed.gov 

Q: When should I apply to college?

A: As soon as possible.  Students can apply to as many colleges as desired.  In fact, one may want to apply to a couple of different colleges to keep options open.  Once accepted, students must make a decision to what college they intend to attend.  For example: I may be accepted to both Coe College and the University of Iowa, but I need to contact the admissions offices at both colleges to let them know I have decided to accept/decline their offer.

Q: How do I request a transcript from Mediapolis High School?

A: Your transcript can be sent to any institution at any time for free.  Simply visit the counseling office or complete a Request for Transcripts / Graduation Verification Form.  If you are an alumni student and would like to request a transcript, please call 319-394-3101 x1217 or complete this form Request for Transcripts / Graduation Verification Form.

Q: I took college courses in high school.  Do I need to send my SCC transcript to my four-year college?

A: Yes, you will need to send an SCC transcript to your respective four year school.  You may do so online at https://www.scciowa.edu/scripts/admissions/admrequesttranscript.asp 

Q: How do I go on a college visit?

A: Students wanting to visit a college of interest may do so at any time.  There are special days set aside for students to visit.  You may schedule a visit by contacting the school of interest via the phone or website. As with all planned absences, the following procedures need to take place: 

  • The parent needs to call or email the high school office prior to the absence. 

  • The students needs to obtain a pre-arranged absence form from the high school office. 

  • The student returns the form to the office with ALL necessary teacher signatures. 

  • This form must be filled out and returned to the office 24 hours prior to the college visit.

Q: Can I go on a college visit as a junior?

A: Absolutely.  In fact, it is highly recommended as a junior.  This allows plenty of time for students to narrow down the search and make the right choice in the senior year.